28 September 2011

Week 4 - Clinical Day 1 / 4 {Assignment: Health History}

My day started before my alarm (that was set to go off at 5:15am) I think my adrenaline must have kicked in at 4:45am to get me prepared for my first clinical of nursing school as well as the semester. This photo was taken at 5:30am thanks to the handy timer that is on my camera, as you can tell I was still sleepy eyed (this was mostly taken for my mother's sake!). My friend and fellow nursing student picked me up to make sure we could stop and get coffee first at 5:50am; well we were there early to say the least, we weren't expected until 7am but we got there at 6:15am (but better early than late?).

Our assignment for the day was to take a health history of our assigned resident who had volunteered for the task. We were taught in class that as we collect data it should be more listening to their story with guided questions along the way; this was no problem at all for my resident we had a lovely hour-long conversation. I learned a lot from my individual and will cherish his words for ever. Before I left he told me that he thinks I am doing what I was meant to do, and that he see's that I will do good things some day. I asked him what wisdom he could share with me and he said, "set goals in life but don't push it, it's not always easy but if you go with the flow and have a goal you will succeed." Sometimes it's easy to get overwhelmed and stressed by the day-to-day academics it gets in the way of seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.Our professors told us that we would always remember our first patient, I didn't quite believe her at first, but now I know exactly what she meant!

I am looking forward to completing 3 more clinicals this semester and will try to learn as much as I can from each one. Next time I will be passing meds and assisting in daily routines with patients that need more assistance. As my clinical instructor said, I'll get to do more "nursey" stuff!

Two more days this week then I get to spend time at home with my youngest brother for the weekend! It will be good timing :) I think I need a temporary change of scenery before my final season of college swimming begins!

P.S. The TOMS I chose (all white canvas) are the perfect nursing shoes! I think I need to buy a pair to go in my normal wardrobe! :) AND for all those concerned, I did not wear my scrubs the remainder of the day, the first thing I did when I got back was take them off and change haha

No comments:

Post a Comment