St. Kate's Seniors 2012 - Bridget, Mary, Reba, Sarah V, Myself, and Sarah M.
M.I.A.C. Championships 2012
February 16th - 18th
What a crazy, wonderful weekend filled with highs and lows and emotions everywhere between. I figured out that my first championship swim meet was swam at the age of 8, where I competed in one event; the 25 yard breaststroke at the University of Minnesota. The last competition I will swim in my life is 13 years later at the age of 21 I competed in my last race in the 100 freestyle swimming a lifetime best of 55.93 and getting 25th in the M.I.A.C. It only seems suiting that I end and begin my career in the same place.
This weekend I can say I have been filled with gratitude and pride looking back over the countless hours I spent in and around a pool. All the coaches that invested their time, believed I could achieve anything I set my mind on, and the teammates that were there with me every step of the way. I started at our local YMCA swim team under the lead of Charlie Kirks, Amy, and Kelly at the age of 7. Then moved on to YWCA of Minneapolis club team coached by a cohort but lead by Dave Cameron while also swimming for South High School under the direction of Jeff Sanders, Neil Anderson, and Amy Bouta. I finished my career at the St. Catherine University coached by Nicole Hempler and Shana Erickson. All of these times had their moments of highs and lows, but all came together to create the swimmer I am today, and person I have become. I will always feel eternally grateful for my parents who pushed me to do my best, never quit, and to pursue every level of swimming I can. I am thankful for my grandparents and extended family that spent hours in the pool just to watch me swim one event. I hope that at this time even though my competitive swimming career has come to an end in the pool, that I will have greater opportunities to work as a coach or who knows maybe I'll be a swimming parent some day! I know either way that swimming will always be a part of my life in some capacity.
|
| Our goals we posted at the beginning of taper. |
 |
| My college lane mate, where we always worked out in lane 2! |
|
|
 |
| Butterfly Prelims - Lifetime Best take 1 - 1:01.83 (13th place overall) |
|
|
 |
| This is the smile you get after getting a lifetime best in the 100 fly :D |
|
| At the beginning of my last race ever - 100 free - 55.93 (25th overall) |
 |
| My partner in crime & Butterfly teammate Bridget |
|
 |
| We couldn't have done it without our coaches! Thanks for everything :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment