"OH I could NEVER do that..."
"I definitely don't have the STOMACH for that job"
"good for you, that's definitely NOT my THING"
"Nursing...well that will definitely be HARD work"
...and most of the time I laugh it off, knowing full well the profession I have decided to take on. Sunday night I was working the evening shift (3:30pm - 12:00am) on the post-op// orthopedic floor. I don't remember if I mentioned this before but I float, so I am usually never on the same unit twice in a row, as a result I'm constantly getting used to different break rooms, where stuff is, etc. Well this particular break room is in the back and the door is open to 3 different patient rooms, none of which are singles (meaning they have multiple people in them). ANYWAYS, I was sitting down to eat my dinner on my 30 minute break and I'm about to bite into my delectable left-overs of tortellini pasta and I here the largest flem-filled cough I've heard in a long time, then a grunt, followed by, "wow that medication is really clearing me up!". {Pause} I understand that as a nurse we use "potty" words all the time, and actually encourage our patients to describe in the best detail they can their experience, all apart of a good "assessment". HOWEVER, I was on my break and yes trying to eat a meal while not only hearing and discussing such topics, but forced to eat during them.
I must say,...they haven't mentioned that I would have to accomplish that skill for nursing school without throwing up myself.
That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment