13 April 2011

Closer Look {HIP-HOP: Beyond Beats & Rhymes}


As I may or may not mention before I am going to school to become a registered nurse, though what I don't think I brought up is I am getting a minor in critical studies of race & ethnicity. You may ask what does that even mean? 

According to the {University's Website}:
A major in critical studies of race and ethnicity (CRST) provides a framework for understanding race and ethnicity in historical, contemporary, national and global contexts.

Studies are rooted in an understanding of race as a social construct that shapes identity and experience and perpetuates systems of oppression. Using a lens of race/ethnicity, you will critically examine texts, language, media, art, music, statistical records, social structure/systems and the complete array of institutional arrangements.

With all of this being said I am currently taking a communications course that credits to my minor; Communicating Across Cultures, Identities and Differences (CRST3101). Today in class we watched the independent film Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats & Rhymes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Film Title: Hip-Hop: Beyond Beats & Rhymes
Filmaker: Byron Hurt
Film's Website click {here}
Year: 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This film is an candid look into a music genre that is filled with stereotype and a long history that has morphed and changed with the producers, artists, and societal expectations that have been placed upon it. If you have time I would strongly recommend viewing this film, it only lasts about an hour but will allow you to walk away hopefully challenging your views as well as asking more questions. I love having a minor that allows professors to discuss controversial topics, expects their students to ask questions, and challenges us as individuals how we can make a difference. I think the first step to changing out society as a whole is having people be informed and educated. Here's a clip from the first 10 minutes of the film, hopefully this will encourage you to watch the film in its entirety.

 
Does what we become desensitized to (especially in music and media) add to the problematic nature of systemic racism in America? Discover and see what you think.

Above photo credit: {film's website}

No comments:

Post a Comment