31 October 2011

Happy Halloween!

Well unlike the title suggests Halloween is not my favorite holiday, nor one I usually look forward to celebrating. With this being said, by enforcement of my school swim team I do celebrate it once a year for our "Halloween" Practice. But I'm getting ahead of myself, today marks the end of the long weekend filled with lots of fun, so hopefully I'll be able to provide a quick summary!


Thursday, the St. Kate's athletic department winter sports teams participated in a "Colors Workshop" where we got to know ourselves better along with our teammates. We took various surveys and evaluations and determined if we were blue, green, gold, or orange. The majority of my team was blue, I myself was found to be a gold along with one of my coaches and a fellow friend/ teammate Reba. The woman who did the workshop also happens to be Minnesota's Teacher of the year and she even took a picture of all of us that night and posted it on her blog {here}. She was fun, and made the potential not-so-interesting night into a good time to wind down from mid-terms.{Photos from the colors workshop above Mary/ Steff on left, part of our team on the right}


Friday was our "fall break"/ 1 day off and we headed over to St. Thomas for the annual Relay meet they host with majority of our MIAC teams. It was our second meet of the season and various creative relays were swam. I was the lucky one who swam in all the traditional freestyle relays 200/400/800 as well as the 300 yrd butterfly relay where 2 swam 50's and 2 swam 100 yrds. Here's the summary of the meet {here} as well as the results are posted {here}. I didn't take a ton of photos, this one turned out well though, thanks to Mary I actually made it in a picture!

Saturday, drum roll please............Zach and I took it upon ourselves since I had the day off and we hadn't seen Ryley in far TOO LONG! To surprise him and drive down to Luther and attend his first college swim meet ever! I am so glad we did! We also were able to last minute bring along his co-captain from high school, Calder. I had a lot of fun, and the drive wasn't too awful we made good timing and able to still take him grocery shopping and represent his family for the potluck following the meet. It's been an adjustment for all of us having Ryley in Iowa and then him not coming home for his midterm break, but I think Zach was definitely the one who appreciated the trip the most, and the best part of it all is Ryley didn't even recognize us in the stands at first! I love my brothers, and I'm just glad Ryley chose a school he could continue to pursue swimming, it's been a huge part of my life and I know he'll reap the benefits as well during his college experience. I only took one picture since it's Ryley's least favorite thing anyways.


Last but not least I'll end with a few photos from our Halloween practice today! Everyone enjoyed themselves, and most people spent a lot more effort than I did on my costume (LG uniform from work). I'm outnumbered by many teammates who like spontaneity and random fun throughout the year, it gets me out of my "comfort zone" I suppose. I hope everyone had a very Happy Halloween and good weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment