Going into finals at Grinnell this past weekend, I was expecting my head coach to give us inspirational words of optimism and reassurance. Though instead she said, almost a direct quote, "races tonight are going to hurt, but I KNOW you can do it, and it will be WORTH it." All of us kinda looked at each other, and I think would have rather gone into our races with ignorance, but you know what, I think it's what we needed, and almost all of us came out that night with a season best in at least one event. That felt good, even if it did hurt a little.
Grinnell Invitational has been my favorite swim meet for the past two years, my freshman and sophomore year we didn't take a team there. Maybe it's something about the atmosphere, or the competition from all over the midwest, or maybe it's the urgency to drop time once more before you get seated for conference, but it's just the feeling you get after swimming two days straight prelims in the morning and finals at night where get a sense of accomplishment. I accomplished a few things this weekend, that I can add to my "firsts" in my swimming career.
- It was the first time I swam faster in finals then I did in a preliminary race
- First time that every time I swam 100 freestyle I did not go above a minute flat
- First time that over the course of the meet my 50 free stayed sub-27 seconds
- First & last swim meet that my brother Ryley and I will compete at together in our college career, and I was happy I got to see him swim his bestest :)
I took a few photos over the course of the weekend, none with me in it, or something special. Maybe I'll post them later.
Happy Kickset Monday Wildcats, and for everyone else, I hope you survived your Minnesota icy commute this morning to wherever you had to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment