02 May 2012

Hip, Knee, Iliac crest; Dressing Change X3 [4 of 5 ortho clinical]

As I have referenced many times before, following every clinical we have to write what is referred to as a TNC, "Thinking Nursing Care" - Plan. Basically we look at our patient, analyze everything humanly possible, and explain what we did, and why we did it. Well we have clinical prep Tuesday night, Clinical from 6:30am - 3:30pm, and the TNC is due at 6pm on Friday. . . Can I tell you a little secret...even though there's a lot to do and little time to do it on Wednesday nights I nap, eat dinner out, do my self-evaluation and email it to my professor, take a break; AND all I do for my TNC on Wednesday's are my data points and edit my prep to be pertinent to my patient, and find an article. FACT.

One should have time for themselves in order to be able to be successful and for me I need this time to debrief and clear my head. I do believe my grades reflect that for the better.

ANYWAYS enough about that sort of stuff. 
Rule #4 of Orthopedic Post - Op: 
Double check, triple check, and quadruple check! {& SLOW DOWN!} Errors happen, we're all human, but if you slow down enough then you can make errors not as life altering as possible. As well as don't assume anything, I was able to advocate for my patient after finding a medication she is prescribed 5 times a week wasn't on her MAR because the pharmacist canceled it then I followed up with my supervising nurse and changed it. But if I wasn't looking closely enough at the orders I could have missed it, and in reality, if I had more than one patient I could have missed it if the patient hadn't spoken up. It's all in the little things.

Well another successfully busy, and tiring day. I don't think I've felt this tired after clinical since the first week....I think that I'm getting burnt out from school. But I know I can do it, take one day at a time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment