15 July 2012

[Swimming Lessons] [Story]

In the past week...
I have been in and out of the water approximately 14 times (for lessons),
I have taught multiple dozen people in the water,
Smiled, winked, made goofy faces at kids that are in the pool,
but the most significant story this week...

A young adult male who signed up for lessons because he has a deep fear of water,
not just because he wasn't exposed to the water, not because his family didn't give him the opportunity, but because when he was 2 years old he lost a sibling to the water, his sibling when he was 2 drowned, he never really got to know his sibling and has no memory of them.

That fear of drowning and of water is with him today.
This is why I teach people how to not only swim, but be SAFE in the water. 

Well I was observing one of my favorite photo-blogs and ran across this tonight;

 
via. observando. 

As I told this man as I was supporting him in floating and putting his face in the water that I myself have never personally had a fear of water as long as I can remember I have "known how to swim". However I have taught many people that are deeply afraid and I respect that, but I don't personally know how that feels. Yet I have a innate passion and love for the water and want to do everything I can to share that love with others. 

I myself would think drowning would be awful, and a horrible way to die. Especially for me as a competent swimmer. So even though I am not afraid, I am afraid of drowning. And with that I relate to him and others that I have taught to swim.

Like I tell all my swimmers, "don't fight the water you'll only make it more difficult to swim"...

In my life right now I am trying to live in the moment, take nothing for granted, and not "fight" with where I am at, instead control what I can control of my circumstance, be thankful for things I have, and leave everything else up to God.

That is what is on my mind tonight.

Goodnight all. Have a good beginning to your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment