I made it to Lusaka, Zambia.
It was a long journey totally over 24 hours in both planes and airports and my body isn't taking it as we'll as I would have hoped. We arrived in Lusaka at 2 in the morning this time zone after a 2 hour delay in Zimbabwe due to paperwork errors. Once we got to the hotel I went to sleep immediately. Not for long though; breakfast and our day started at 9am and we were off and running. Class/ discussion outside until 12 noon (getting sunburned because I hadn't gotten in the routine of just automatically applying sunscreen upon waking up in the morning...don't worry that will not happen again. Then the afternoon was spent at the local market trying to navigate ATMs and not being able to withdraw cash, waiting for a meal for nearly 3 hours, and by the end I was sick and feeling very flu like symptoms. I made it back to the hotel but in the direct sun it was rough.
Day 2 was spent with orientation at the Jesuit center and I woke up with a much better outlook feeling better I thought it would be a good day. It was a fabulous introduction and learning about the community sites but by 4pm I did not feel any better than the day before. So trying to learn a new language without throwing up definitely was an art. I managed and am glad I stuck it out.
Tomorrow is the third official day in Zambia and am trying to stay positive and hope for the best. Prayers and thoughts would be much appreciated, though I know everything happens for a reason and continue to try to grow in patience and take it as it comes.
Thank you all for the well wishes on Facebook and email, it's nice not to feel alone in a foreign country. I am lucky that the hotel in Lusaka has wireless for $4/ day.
I will update as I'm able.
Ashley: so glad you made it safely. Will pray for your health and language learning. Thanks for the updates!
ReplyDelete~Aunt Janet & family
Thank you!! I hope you got my email :)
Delete