| Sunset on my last night in Chobe, Botswana at the Safari Lodge we stayed at. |
January 2013
This month was as expected a life-changing and first-in-a-lifetime experience (I don't like to say "once", because I would love to go back and would do almost anything to make it happen!) I departed from the United States on Friday, January 4th and returned on Friday 25th, so today marks exactly 1 week since returning back to the states. Even though there were portions of the trip that were not exactly what I anticipated or wanted for the experience, I wouldn't trade it for anything. You only life life once and I intend on making the most of it!
Lasts: purchasing text books for my final semester of my undergraduate career, (hopefully) last time traveling as a large school group, writing a research paper outline by hand...
Firsts: traveling to the continent of Africa, going on a safari, using a mosquito net while sleeping at night, going in a taxi (particularly in a foreign country// although first time ever), visiting a hospice, seeing one of the 7 natural wonders of the world, eating rice everyday for a month, first time being away traveling for as long as 3 weeks...
Things I've learned: marketplace in Zambia, personal stories of resilience and hard work of women in a developing country, count my blessings, traveling is in my blood, there's so much more to learn, I am a person who needs a regular dose of personal space and time alone, traveling in large groups is not for me, I can problem solve when ATM machines won't let me take out money, wear skirts for nearly 3 weeks straight, walk wherever I need to go, spend long-lengths of time away from family,...
Looking forward to: finding out my preceptorship assignment for my final semester of nursing, graduation, new life, starting life not as a student, passing my boards, my last semester of college, nursing pinning ceremony
What I'm missing: the African sun, free-spirit not bound to time or due dates, time to just live in an experience and go with the flow, slice of life without stress (for the most part), meeting new people, developing new relationships
If this month was a slice of what I get to look forward to in my life, I am really excited and nervous to see what's in store.
Look out 2013, ready or not, here I come!
No comments:
Post a Comment