16 September 2013

Yoga.

source.
So as you may or may not know from reading this blog, I swam competitively from the age of 8 through 4 years of NCAA- Division III college swimming. I added a year in college, finishing my undergrad in 5 years and the final 5th year was intense. The combination of my work schedule and academically challenging so honestly, I did not work out. Shakes head in shame (only kind of). I live an active life and as much as that's not an excuse to just stop working out, it is my reason (and I may have been slightly burnt out after that much competitive swimming). Fast forward to now. I have always had this interest in starting yoga, there was something about working out without having to run or do "typical" forms of exercise that appealed to me. However, I live in a major metropolitan area and since yoga is kinda trending right now, it is EXPENSIVE. I never really could swallow paying over $100 a month to do yoga, but at the same time wanted to go somewhere that I knew I was getting a good workout and good instruction. So this was where good ol' groupon came in! They had a deal for an unlimited month for only $69 at Corepower yoga (which is where I always wanted to take classes), and since I was never a student there - I got a week free! So 5 weeks for only $69, yes please.

I love it.

Today will be my 4th class in the past 5 days, and it was one of those things where afterword I genuinely felt good and wondered why I ever thought that not doing yoga was a good idea. Now I recommend it to anyone, especially if they don't like working out (like me)! Plus, while I was in nursing school I learned all of these health and body benefits that it had and I do feel so much better.

Why I tried yoga:
  • I don't really like going to a regular gym and working out/ working out in general
  • I enjoy having a "coaching" experience without being the only one like personal training
  • I am not flexible, and lost any core muscles I used to have from swimming
  • I am going into a professional career where if my body cannot perform I will be out of a job
  • 1 hour a day to be disconnected from everything, literally I turn off my phone
I have definitely learned a lot even in the short time I am doing it, and yes I am obviously at this point usually the newbie. But I go with it and try to get better each day. Last week I was reading some of my favorite blogs, and one of my favorites is Allie's Between Dreams. She recently took some time off from blogging for similar reasons as why I had been MIA over August and most of the summer. She started yoga too! Everyone finds there niche even in exercise. I find this is helping me find balance and time for myself especially during this time of transition and looking for full-time employment.

***This is NOT a sponsored post, I just share things from my life, and when I find something I really love I like to share it on my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment