15 April 2014

Confessions of a workaholic.

So this post may come turn out to be a nicely articulated piece I'll appreciate later in life, however, it also has the potential for disaster. So read if you dare..this one even has pictures!

I am a 20-something. female. first career-job out of undergrad. licensed and practicing registered nurse. living at my parents house. 7 months into a new relationship. & a workaholic. 

I have been employed through an employer where I had to fill out a W-2 form, and receiving a pay check every two weeks (minus a few family vacations), since the age of 14. In high school my parents covered the basic expenses, but anything "fun" or extra I wanted to do came out of my own personal budget.

Photo Credit: My aunt Janet (me & my uncle talking while at work) - stolen from facebook of course. Circa 2007.
Then college came along and in the summers I worked full-time at a pool lifeguarding, eventually being the one in charge 40 hours a week (at least), plus working a second job as I could to help pay for college. During the school year I worked on campus, I worked at the YWCA that I had a job at since I was 17, and then my senior year of college I had three jobs throughout the school year. Yikes! This is serious. You know what's more serious is that this is not an uncommon story around my friends, and that's both those who had both private school and public school experiences.

 

I don't know why but because of my crazy schedule with school, swimming, and work I have gotten so used to be busy 7 days a week, mostly working evenings and weekends (naturally). So when I transitioned to working in my career as a nurse it actually allowed more space in my life to do what I want - and I don't always know what I am supposed to do with my time. (I only have to work every OTHER weekend?!). So all habits die hard and I find myself picking up shifts at the hospital, as well as still picking up shifts at my pool I've worked at since 17 teaching swimming lessons or lifeguarding. I don't know if there's a "cure", but I do know my family and boyfriend would appreciate it if I did only work what I "had" to work, and not what I keep signing up for.

Who knows what's next for the busy bee!

 (left photo taken prior to my first interview for my current job, right prior to an evening shift!)

No comments:

Post a Comment