29 May 2015

Dear College Graduate.

Memorial day weekend my younger (middle) brother Ryley graduated with his bachelors of arts, he is finishing up 2 classes and a student-teaching semester to officially double-major in health & physical education with a minor in coaching. He hopes to teach urban kids the benefits of a healthy lifestyle as a PE teacher as well as hold a coaching position; ideally in the school he is teaching at. This week marks two years since graduating myself with my bachelor of science in nursing and got me thinking, what are some things I wish someone told me, or things I was willing to hear and apply in my own life when I first graduated from undergrad. These are somethings I came up with. 

1. Have a savings account and save as much as you can, because someday you'll really can't afford not to. I know, everyone says this, but it's true. It took me eight months to get a job that was full-time work using my undergrad degree, and believe you and me it was expensive. My first loan payment was due on Christmas, and the 6 months of deferred payments went by fast. I also purchased my first car in that time, and quickly needed to replace my laptop from college (5 years is no match for that not so great Dell). Costs come up and living pay check to pay check makes it hard for wiggle room, start small but start somewhere, your future self will thank you.

2. Find a hobby. & to be honest I am still working on this. I lived most of my life in a very structured fashion, I always swam year around for my school or club team, I worked multiple jobs, and to be honest there was never time for a hobby beyond that. Having a hobby is really important and aides in good self-care and work/ life balance. I am starting to enjoy cooking, gardening in the summer, and organizing. I would really like to find something that doesn't cost extra but is something I could do at anytime during the day.

3. Find physical activity you enjoy. Again, if I was honest I am still struggling and trying to find something that "fits". My entire life in my family we had to choose one physical activity to participate in year around I for many reasons settled on swimming; but I had participated in track, tennis, softball, gymnastics for many seasons before that. It's a if I am a young kid again trying to figure something out that fits my lifestyle and schedule and I just haven't come to find that yet. I truly wish I was a runner, it's easy, free, and everyone does it - plus I live in a city of lakes, but I just hate it, I can't get into it. I really love yoga, but I am terrible at doing it on my own and feel like I need a lot of direction, and lack independent motivation to commit both financially and fitting it into my everyday routine.

4. Learning to thrive in change. If there is one thing that is positively unavoidable in life, it is change. We live in a world that is constantly moving and changing to the next biggest and best thing. This will affect both your personal and professional life, and if you cannot navigate and develop ways to cope and excel with change in your life, you will be left in the dust. If you can learn to succeed and excel in change you will always stand out from your peers and it will benefit you greatly.

5. Moderation. Quality over quantity, needs versus wants. You could read this many different ways, but it is oh so important to find balance in your life. Balance in your finances, social life, professional life, goals, and environment. Life is lived better when you can find a good balance of splurges and savings. When you're finally on your own you are responsible for all of life throws at you, if you have room for a little margin it will benefit you, and really help survive the unexpected.

6. Learn to unplug. This can mean many things for many people, maybe you need to learn to literally unplug from technology and social media, maybe that means to take independent time alone to self-evaluate and meditate, taking time for family, for me that is learning how to take time off from work. Up until this week every "PTO" day I took I had picked up extra shifts at the hospital or extra shifts at the pool as a lifeguard, and that completely defeats the purpose of using scheduled vacation time. My new rule is if I use PTO time from the hospital I am not allowed to pick up extra work shifts anywhere. It's scary and is something I never realized how much I did to fill time and space in my past. I am at risk for burning out as a nurse and it is essential I can work for many years to come. Taking time away from your workplace is invaluable and makes you a better worker when you are at work.           

No comments:

Post a Comment