31 October 2012

Won't look back October {2012}

 
unknown source. 

And with the last door bell ring of trick or treaters, October was finished!

October

Lasts: community health clinical// community health everything, first day at the new job as a student nurse, day of 4100!!

Firsts: Halloween handing out candy to trick or treaters, day of 4000, day in my new hospital job, seeing a bone marrow biopsy done first-hand, spending time on an oncology floor, working a one-on-one on high-demand patients, first swim meet of the season visiting my brother away at school

Things I've learned: how to advocate for my patient's/ & myself, work multiple day shifts in a row, to know what I know, rely on God, continue to take life one day at a time, not stress over spilled milk, actions speak louder than words, if I can get through this month I can get through the rest of school, it's okay to cry sometimes, hospice nursing is probably not for me

Thankful for: a church community that supports and lifts up their congregation in prayer, a job in a hospital that offers good learning and growing experience individually & professionally, an awesome boss at the hospital, parents who sacrificially support and love me when I need it the most, support of past professors, a home that is safe and warm on cold nights, I have all my necessities met, passing my 3rd to last undergraduate nursing class 4100, classes only being 1/2 a semester so that I can get a change of pace/ personalities

Looking forward to: pediatric rotation and experience, THANKSGIVING with all my dad's side of the family at our house!!, growing professionally as a nursing role through school & my job, the unknown after graduation, discerning what I want to do with my nursing career after graduation & the boards, GSJ - senior seminar course in AFRICA!

What I'm missing: last semester (still miss 3500), having a car, summer (always), more flexibility in my schedule/free time, time with my brothers...

The past two months of my life have probably been the most challenging, frustrating, difficult months that I've experienced in a long time. The things that I had to push through and persevere through I never anticipated while going into my last year of nursing school. I'm optimistic that the final push through this semester will go a lot better and I'll be able to better manage my time and strike a balance in my life. I really am hoping that during this pediatric rotation that I will be able to identify if this is something I can see myself doing for a career choice and narrow down my choices for my preceptorship next spring (132 hours of clinical on a single hospital unit required for graduation). I'm tentative regarding the optimism about the remainder of the semester but hope that I can move forward and not look back, and finish this semester off strong. I have high hopes for this class - only time will tell.      

No comments:

Post a Comment