04 February 2013

Last, first day of undergrad!


source.
Today was the last, first day of school as I know it. The future of "first days" are never going to be quite the same as this one. We started our final nursing course this morning quite similarly as we started our first one, with a scream. Letting all the excitement, anxiety, anticipation out...kinda weird I know; not entirely my thing. We then were split into groups making posters on what we thought nursing was and what we've learned it to be, connecting it with the mission of our university to lead and influence. 

We then were split into our faculty adviser groups where at the end of the meeting were told our preceptorship assignment, I discussed in an earlier post {here}. My top 3 choices: oncology, post-op ortho/ neuro, ER/ Trauma with pediatrics being my preference population. 

Drum Roll Please...

...I was assigned to an adult oncology unit

I am really happy to have a focused unit that is not just a general medicine floor, and particularly an oncology unit. There has been many points in my life that nursing sparked my interest, however even more influential were those personal experiences with families experiencing cancer. Those experiences I had are what really influenced me to go to nursing school and a long-term pursuit of eventually working in a pediatric oncology department.  

I'm really excited for what this opportunity and experience has to offer; I plan on making the most of it. 

The biggest challenge of this clinical experience is the location of the hospital, and transportation to and from each shift. This final semester of my schooling has probably put the most pressure and stress on my parents and I both financially and logistically. I am deciding that at this point I have to walk by faith and know that everything happens for a reason and all the details will fall into place.

Not too long after I found out my placement one of my facebook friends posted a bible verse as her status;

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. 
\\Deuteronomy 31:8\\

This was a really good reminder as I was getting caught up in the logistics.

I will graduate this May 2013, ready or not, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment