11 July 2013

Bachelor of Science in Nursing// RN [NCLEX-RN]


A memorable July 3rd, 2013
Oh NCLEX-RN exam; where to start with you, I just don't know. I have to say I am thankful, relieved, excited, grateful, blessed,...I will NEVER, EVER, EVER have to take that exam again. It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience just the way I wanted. The End.

Okay...here's a little more detail in order of events. When I first began to anticipate taking the NCLEX-RN board exam at the completion of nursing school I really wanted to take it before the end of June. Well, as seems to go in my life anytime I REALLY have a timeline set-in-stone (or so I thought) it doesn't usually go as planned...long story short I renegotiated with myself and settled considering my circumstances that before the 4th of July would be okay. So as soon as I received my ATT (Authorization to Test) from the National Council Licensure Examination people...the earliest time slot I could get that was before the 4th of July was on Wednesday, July 3rd; 2 1/2 hours away from my humble abode....way to be Ashley sticking to your guns on getting the test date you wanted. So I set all my studying and schedules for this date and went to work....later on when I recover from my PTSD from NCLEX I may do a series on how to be study NCLEX to prepare to pass the first time...in short Kaplan, in long Kaplan...anyone who is going to be taking the NCLEX-RN exam should REALLY invest in Kaplan, it is worth every penny! All and all I studied for 30 days (not including the 4-day intensive course through Kaplan), and an estimated minimum of 120 hours total. End result- I took my exam in an hour and 30-40 minutesish, successfully completing and passing the exam the first time with out too-much pain.

As I said the exam was 2 1/2 hours away from home so my mom and I got a hotel the night before and headed north. We scoped out where the test center was, relaxed in the hot tub, and watched my all-time comfort/ favorite/ relaxing movie The Parent Trap. Got up bright and early at 6am, Perkins for breakfast and off to the test center (I was the second to arrive).  

After taking the exam I was exhausted and just wanted to shower and nap. Not before stopping at the local Starbucks for the coffee I hadn't yet had that morning. Since we were already up North we drove up the shore (after said nap, shower, and coffee) and headed for one of my favorite spots; Gooseberry falls! I did not know at this point I had passed, but I did know I finished in my goal time and questions that I wanted. I was done studying at that point and could at least celebrate that. These photos are from the afternoon with my mom! I would have wanted it no other way :) 

  Seriously, the weather that day was PERFECT, couldn't have asked for better!


This is my very tired, but happy face after taking a long intimidating test knowing that it was done 
(little did I know... I would NEVER having to do it again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment