
For those of you who have been following along on my instagram feed, you probably have noticed I have been dropping hints of my apartment search. Even with what I alluded to on there it did not demonstrate how much time over the last 6 months I have been perusing the wonders of the internet to look for apartments in areas that I wanted to live. It became very obvious that if I wanted to find my own place and move out before winter I would have to start looking more seriously starting in June. I also had decided if I didn't move out of my family's lovely abode by September 1st I would halt my searches until next spring (moving in Minnesota winters is not a pretty site). Then I ran across this posting on PadMapper app and decided to check it out.

I knew that I wouldn't apply for anywhere that I couldn't picture myself living in for at least two years, and the previous day I saw a doozy of an apartment so I wasn't feeling too optimistic. Though I liked the landlords sense of humor when it said, "Notes: the exterior has crappy 1950s brown siding --not fixing this aesthetic snafu is what keeps the rent reasonable; the bedroom is too small for a king bed, and is very tight for a queen -- standard double fits fine."
Needless to say I set up an appointment and went to see the place and the moment I walked in the door I fell in love, I do say that the current tenant's sense of style and organization helped sell the place too,..so I definitely have a lot to live up to in this space. To make an even longer story short - I lucked out and was better than the original application and out-wowed 4 other applicants and was chosen! WooHoo. So officially my lease starts September 1st, 2014 - today I signed my first lease and put in a security deposit (yowza!).
So needless to say I am scared out of my mind, excited to live completely 100% on my own, and nervous that I can figure everything out. But needless to say this is another large goal that I had for myself to get to cross off my list of things I want to do before I "settle-down" list. So the next two months before moving in will be spent really being honest and reigning in on my budget/ finances. Saving as much money as possible. & starting to really think quality over quantity, but more on that later.
So thank you for everyone who has made yet another transition in my life possible, thank you for the love, support, recommendations, and being willing to vouch for me to my future landlord, I really appreciate it and look forward to what the coming months have to offer.
![]() |
| back of the house. off-street parking included in my rent! |
(And if anyone has any recommendations in the twin-cities area of where to purchase quality housing stuff including but not limited to microwave, couch, black-out curtains, shower curtain,...etc. please let me know, also I am willing to pay for lightly-used items as well if you have any you would want to sell me, but I am trying to look for necessary/ quality/ items not just stuff to fill the space).

Ashley, I can't wait to hear about your adventures in your new apartment! I have a silver microwave that's in almost perfect condition, it's just smallish. I would also recommend doing some Craigslist free stuff or furniture shopping. You have to look often, but you can find some really awesome stuff that is in great shape. Of course, Good Will or garage sales - you can find some gems too. Robb and I have had some great luck with finding unique items and paying little to nothing :) Lena
ReplyDeleteI might have to take you up on that microwave offer! I'll definitely keep you in the loop! I plan on reminding myself quality over quantity and being okay living in a relatively empty apartment for a while until I find things that are going to fit and work for me. Definitely a process, which I'm sure you are feeling with the new house as well!
Delete