
Well somewhere in life you realize that no matter if you are young or old, rich or poor, American or not I have some how come to the conclusion that the human experience and living life is hard. Now with that being said, I do not neglect to realize that I live a life privileged compared to most of the world and don't take one ounce of that for granted. But looking at my life right now, and where I thought I would be in June of 2014, one year post-college graduation, can't say I don't find myself a little disappointed and frustrated.
I started writing this a week ago, then I stopped, and assumed it would never get written, and my blog would come across as neglected for another week standing. Then I read Hanna's post {here}. Her and her husband are in the first year of marriage, and what the world tells you is "newly wed bliss", and they adventure around California, honeymooned to Ireland, and are now expecting their first child, all of is so exciting. I knew her back when she lived in Minnesota for a week long intensive leadership camp we went to in the boundary waters canoe area in northern Minnesota, the week was when most of us were 16 year olds, young, spunky, and searching for adventure during summer vacation. It's fun to reconnect with people online and see where they are going and how life takes them there. Certainly Hanna is living a life God had planned for her and that is so neat to see! Regardless, this post stopped me in my tracks for a few reasons, but mostly because it provided a perspective that maybe I was missing.
Life is hard, difficult circumstances arise, and it doesn't always go as planned or anticipated. Also, it is filled with the mundane and normal, and it is easy as I spend more time than I like to admit on the internet to feel like my life is inadequate, uninteresting, and not going anywhere fast. The truth is, even if that may be the case, is that everyone's lives are filled with the normal/ average/ expected.
It is really easy for me to get stuck on the fact that it is summertime in the city (my favorite time of the year), and I am working an evening/ night rotation that takes me inside and feeling sorry for myself. This week I am going to try my best to see that even though I am sleeping the sunny days away (that seem to only happen on my days I work - thanks MN rain), that I am in a career I love, taking care of the best patients I could ask for (most of the time ;), and with pretty awesome coworkers, and maybe, just maybe that will help change my perspective. And remind myself if Hanna can feel like life, "can seem a little mediocre at times but it’s real life" with an 8am - 5pm job...then I ought to see that there's no way to escape it completely.
She ends her post with this, "be thankful for the middles in your life and try to see them as a blessing—shifting your perspective can change everything." - Hanna Way
Thanks Hanna for your perspective. Also if you're in need for good blog reads Hanna and her husband have a very authentic, genuine heart and write at the way family blog dot com
No comments:
Post a Comment