18 August 2014

on my mind || things I'm clicking

currently:
i'm an urban, city dweller and love it, and i appreciate how this video was artistically juxtaposed; Gunshot or firework

moving commentary on the violence and protest of what happens to black lives not just in Ferguson, MI;
In the past decade alone, these men and hundreds of others have lost their lives to police.
"From 2006 to 2012 a white police officer killed a black person at least twice a week in this country,"

white people cannot ignore Ferguson, MI.  how to become a white ally.
Let’s talk about an active role for white people in the fight against racism because racism burdens all of us and is destroying our communities. And, quite frankly, because white people have a role in undoing racism because white people created and, for the most part, currently maintain (whether they want to or not) the racist system that benefits white people to the detriment of people of color. 

My north Minneapolis neighborhood is too like Ferguson:
"when oppressed people are angry, privileged people should listen up" 

TED: "We need to talk about an injustice"
human rights lawyer Bryan Stevenson shares some hard truths about America's justice system, starting with a massive imbalance along racial lines: a third of the country's black male population has been incarcerated at some point in their lives.  






I have written on my blog, and for those who know me, know that I am living in the city of Minneapolis, raised by parents who have made it their life-long mission to be white allies, and not only allies but live with and alongside deprived neighborhoods and people. People who otherwise don't get a voice because of a system that has sold them short. A system that says your not worth it, not worth the time/ energy/ economics to pursue, support, and give opportunity to thrive and live full and purposeful lives. As a result I believe it is my duty to pursue and support organizations, people, and structures that actively go against a white-supremacist system to build systems of equity not equality for all people.

I could have found hundreds of more articles regarding this past weeks events in Ferguson, and I could have found thousands more regarding deaths of unarmed African American males across this country where the police officer that killed them never got charged. I grieve because I see this play out over and over again in my neighborhood. I grieve because I don't have the answer. I grieve because there are days where this inequality and system has the best of me and makes me feel like I can't do anything to change it. I grieve because there are people that can continue to live their lives and ignore what is happening, or blink and look the other way because of their privilege.

Recently there was a comment made on Facebook stating the reason she cannot justify talking about Ferguson on social media is because there is already so much (enough) attention brought to issues of "people of color" and not enough in regards to other issues that affect also (white people). I find issue with this because that ignores the reality and complexity of these situations. Truth be told, even though white people are affected with the same issues of socioeconomic poverty, homelessness, criminal justice system, and human sex trafficking, it remains that people of color continue to dominate these populations, disproportionately. The side-effects if you will, of this system of racism in the United States is that there are opportunities for white people to be "pulled up by their boot straps" and given an excuse or second chance to prove themselves - whereas this same system blames people of color for their circumstance, and that "they aren't doing enough".  As a result it has created this cultural belief and stigma making it even more difficult for people of color in these circumstances.

I am a white, Christian, straight, female. I realize that because of this I have benefits, that allow me to thrive socioeconomically, culturally, and circumstantially.  I don't ignore the fact that there are huge problems affecting millions of people across the world white, black, native, Asian, doesn't matter - that need help, that need an ally like myself. I would find myself ignorant if I ignored the fact that being white in the United States regardless of other circumstances places me in line for more success than others. That to me is a problem and an issue that I cannot  ignore, I will not stop talking about, and cannot pretend it is not my problem. 

I continue to find tears in my eyes at the end of the night because the hurt and brokenness of the world never seems to end. There is war, politics, brutality, and inequity. I am just one person, an imperfect person. How can I reconcile when I face my Lord at the end of the day that I am trying to be enough, do enough, say enough? I pray for the people of Ferguson, I pray for the people who don't have a bed to sleep on at night, I pray for the children abused and harassed in their own homes, I pray for a world where love can overcome power. Right now that's what I am doing. I pray, I write, I provide equitable care to my patients. I do my best, even though I am probably my own worst critic and find myself reeling on a regular basis if I am even doing enough and saying the right things. That's where I try to leave room for grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment