Labor Day Weekend - Move in day for (some) college students!
I have now shopped, moved in, and moved out more times than I care to count (4 years of college worth). Into college in the fall, back home in the summer; now since I'm officially super senior status I am a pro, right? Well maybe. Here's the breakdown.
Year 1 [first year] -
Location: On campus
Room: Freshman dorm double (2 people, 15ft X 15ft box, bunked beds)
Major Purchases: cheap target futon, bedding/ pillows etc., rented//mini fridge/freezer & microwave, printer, laptop, some utensils/ kitchen ware (hot pot!)
Year 2 & 3 -
Location: On campus
Room: Deluxe double (a room & a half with a half bath)
Major Purchases: rug, t.v., mini fridge/ freezer, lamps, bathroom stuff, vacuum, iPod dock, desk chair
Used from before: target futon, bedding/ pillows etc., printer, laptop
Year 4 -
Location: On campus
Room: 4 person suite in the new buildings (4 bedrooms, living space, suite kitchen (no stove/ oven), full bath)
Major Purchases: book shelf, different rug, shower curtain/ shower organizer etc., bathroom rugs, garbage cans for EVERYWHERE
Used from before: bedding/ pillows etc. (Ryley took the target futon to his first year of college), lamps, iPod dock, printer, laptop, t.v.
Year 5 -
Location: Off campus
Room: 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 living areas, small kitchen, dining room, deck, 2 1/2 car garage (single level with basement), free washer/ dryer usage (we pay utilities)
Major purchases: bed full!, desk mat, full-length mirror, bedding etc., body pillow, kitchen ware (brita water pitcher, pots/ pans, silverware)
On the shopping list: rice cooker, small dresser,....
Used from before/ from home: book shelves, desk, iPod dock, desk chair, t.v., rake, shovel
Expences that incur every year that are not reusable from year-to-year:
- Cleaning supplies (paper towel, toilet paper year 2 on, windex, lysol wipes, toilet bowl cleaner, clorox clean-up...)
- Food
- Clothes
- Swim team stuff (minus my 5th year) - swimsuit, goggles, towels, team apparel
- Books (upwards of $800.00 one semester - thanks nursing school)
- Toiletries X3 (backup to restock, locker room for swim stuff, dorm room)
The list goes on. The one thing I learned living close by where I go to school is I want to be able to run home to my room and crash without having to pack an entire overnight bag. This means my bed at home has an additional set of linens for home and one for school. Tooth brush, face wash/ lotion, shampoo/ conditioner, body lotion, body wash, deodorant, contact stuff. The things I didn't think about and eventually got double of for my room at home and at school; bed side lamp, alarm clock (bedside table), trash bin for my room & school, pillows, dirty clothes container. Now these aren't a NECESSITY but it sure makes it convenient and easy to just crash at home when I need and not be worried. I usually kept an outfit or so at home as well so I had a change of clothes.
Some of the big stuff I got so far this year for my transition to off-campus living was the following (thankfully a lot of the other 3 girls I am living with had the major furniture items that were needed to make this house a home).
For my bedroom// Personal Space
link {here}
Now I'm not entirely sure which bed we got...as it was delivered to my new house a month ago..but I think it's similar to what was pictured above. We just got a basic metal frame to go with it...no fancy headboard or anything.
Target Items:
Full Length Mirror {Target}
This isn't a high-priced item, but all the little things add up...something practical that I'll use everyday.

I'm trying to mix patterns, but stick around the grey theme with splashes of color...we'll see how I do. I started to mention some of my room decor in this post {here}
Brita Pitcher - Violet {here}
There is one in the refrigerator, but I figure two will allow for there always to be drinkable water, and then I'll be responsible for keeping this filter new and it's mine to keep!
Still on the list....
rice cooker. {target} - $29.99
This will be purchased ASAP seeing as I will be cooking many of my own dinners...and rice is one of my staples.
One small dresser option {IKEA} - $149.00
This would be super nice to get...however something simpler & cheaper might have to do until I am out of college...we'll see what happens. I love the color of this dusky/ dark brown...it would go with my theme.
That's all I got for now...for my weekend filled with shopping, moving, organizing, and cleaning (repeat). I forgot how the 48 hours before moving all you really want to do is be ready to move and skip to organizing and settling in. I know from experience that soon enough I'll start to feel settled and have things under control...but getting sleep and not letting my mind race will be the hardest part!
No comments:
Post a Comment